About Bud the Spud

"Bud the Spud" is a potato and unlike other potatos Bud is perfectly happy to remain a potato, he has no intention of becomming "Mashed Potato, French Fries, potato Chips" or anything else that takes away from his being just a plain ordinary potato.

one day Bud discovers that the "Rotten Potato" is selling off his fellow potato people to the fast food conglomorates in a mass genocide of his own people. Now this is enough to piss off any self respecting potato. And so begins Bud's adventure to find and stop the "Rotten Potato" from this dastardy most dispicable act of genocide. Bud will have no easy task as he will have many obstacles along the way, deadly toxic mud bogs to cross, attacking Worms, Potato Beetles, rogue toy Robots, food processing machines, Hibachi BB Q's and so much more.

Thus begins the concept for my indie game development project "Bud the Spud"

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Sand Box Imported into Unity 3D

OK now that the modeling of the Sand Box level is completed in Max 8 I have got it imported into Unity 3D and all of the materials applied to each part. Unity does a lot of this automatically for most imported models but you usually have to tell it which materials are specular with bump and which ones are just bump diffuse, transparent etcetera. Here you can see a screen capture of Bud the Spud standing on the far side of the mote bridge overlooking the vast Sand Box level. I think I need to adjust my suns position in the sky as my shadows are bit too long for my liking.

Here you can see a shot of Bud standing close the the bridge that crosses the more to the other side where the main part of the Sand Castle is located. Just behind him and to the left a little you can see the hole in the ground that I have set for where the Toy Revolving Robot Torso will go once I have the code all worked out for when Bud gets close the robot's chest doors will open and he'll shoot fireballs in an uneven circular plane strafing the ground at the entry way. That's if I can figure out the code to do that, it's kinda complicated and I'm not very good with code to begin with, always takes me much longer just to get that aspect of my game up and running properly.

Here we can see Bud standing by the large plastic beach pale and rusty metal shovel. I've added the foot particle effects for when he is walking through the sand and also for the sand inside of the bucket. I still have to add particle and sound effects for the other surfaces that he can walk on in this game level, mostly woods, plastic, rubber, and the metal shovel that although he can't really walk on it his feet might touch the surface if he jumps at it right so I'll be sure to add a sound effect for that just for the "What if factor."

Here we can see Bud standing by the Toy Rubber Duck. Another Sand Box decoration just for scenic detail although I will add a sound effect for the Duck to "Squeak" or "Quack" when Bud jumps on him. In fact I'm thinking that what I might also do is place a Health Pick up way above the Rubber Duck so that Bud will have to use the Duck like a spring board to be able to jump high enough to get the healthy green potato plant leaf health pick up. I think all I have to do for that is tag the Duck accordingly and he'll bounce higher up when he lands on the Duck.

Here we can see Bud standing by one of the Toy Boats in the Sand Box. There are two toy Boats, this one you see here and another red plastic Tug Boat toy. Again these are more for decoration but it is possible that later on I may find a more significant use for them just to make them a bit more interactive but for now they are just for scenic decoration more than anything. This one does have a little cabin that Bud can go inside of so it may serve very well as a place to hide a pick up item of some type.

Here we can see Bud standing close to the Toy Wooden blocks area of the Sand Box. You can see the plastic Beach Bucket and Metal Shovel way in the background near by. Again more for scenic detail more than anything but it will be a good place to explore and try and out run or hide from "Hunter potato Beetles."


Here we can see Bud by the other plastic Tug Boat I mentioned earlier. Again more thrown in as scenic details and something to explore because you never know what items are going to have a more than just scenic detail orientated purpose.




Ah now we come to one of my most favorite of the Sand Box toys next to the revolving Shooting Toy Robot torso, the Rubber Shark! Doesn't he look menacing? I was going to and may still animate the shark's jaws so they open and close at certain times second intervals but what I'm going to do for now is place a key inside of the Shark fro Bud to find and just make it so as the teeth are dangerous. That way if Bud runs into or lands on the Shark's teeth he'll take a good deal of damage. I test jumped into the Shark's mouth several time to test the feasibility of that scenario and it works quite well, we'll see once I've added the danger colliders to the teeth to see if that still holds true though. In any event it'll make it a lot more difficult to get that much needed key ;)

Once all of this is done I'll need to add in the enemy characters and work out an exit door scenario. Entry will be simple though an overhead pipe leading into the Sand Box, a bit odd I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment