About Bud the Spud

"Bud the Spud" is a potato and unlike other potatos Bud is perfectly happy to remain a potato, he has no intention of becomming "Mashed Potato, French Fries, potato Chips" or anything else that takes away from his being just a plain ordinary potato.

one day Bud discovers that the "Rotten Potato" is selling off his fellow potato people to the fast food conglomorates in a mass genocide of his own people. Now this is enough to piss off any self respecting potato. And so begins Bud's adventure to find and stop the "Rotten Potato" from this dastardy most dispicable act of genocide. Bud will have no easy task as he will have many obstacles along the way, deadly toxic mud bogs to cross, attacking Worms, Potato Beetles, rogue toy Robots, food processing machines, Hibachi BB Q's and so much more.

Thus begins the concept for my indie game development project "Bud the Spud"

Monday, April 30, 2012

Mouse Traps Laid

After much frustration trying to figure out why my character was not taking damage from the mouse traps I finally got the problem solved with some help from Unity Answers. In the end I still do not know why he was not taking damage from the mouse traps because apart from not having a character controller the mouse traps are set up the same way as enemy characters, they each have a collider object set as a trigger which tells the character (Bud)'s "Hurt Collider" to take damage to the players health. now you would think that would be simple right? but nope, it was just NOT working for some unknown to me reason. Well it's fixed now by going a slightly different route in the Mouse Traps script.

So now the traps are functioning as they are supposed to and Bud gets a nasty 25 point damage if he trips one of these pesky things. The good thing is, is that if there is a ball near by Bud can push the ball so it rolls over a mouse trap and that will set it off, no more mouse trap problem because once a trap is tripped it's no longer a threat. I've placed two traps in the Tree House, I might place one more but not sure where yet, perhaps on the upper lookout deck.

Note: I tried today to see if I could drop the robot off of the Tree House look out deck so I would be able to do a screen capture of the robot exploding as he drops to the ground but it took me a long time to get it to happen just once and I was not fast enough to get to a good vantage point to quickly hit the print screen button, Oh I say him blow to bits alright but was just not fast enough to hit the capture button. Maybe next time, like I say it's REALLY thrown in as a "What if" factor and tricky to do, but it can be done and he explodes real nice too. I used the Big explosion with the fragments from the "Detonator pack" so it's really cool to watch ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment